Monday, March 23, 2015

Chicken harvest...graphic photos

The day before my 45th birthday I helped do something I never would have dreamt I would do, I helped butcher two chickens for meat.  Now if you know me, you know I love me some chickens!  I love the fresh eggs.  I also love the whole idea of homesteading, so butchering our own chickens just seemed the next obvious thing to do. 

The photos are graphic, but I assure you the chickens by no means suffered.  The hardest part was catching them and then well, they just kind of went to sleep.  I was happy that their deaths weren't traumatic and I admit that was a HUGE worry for me. 


 
This is Frazier getting the blood catching bucket together and firing up the fire to heat the water to help get the feathers off.
 


These big boys are our donors.  We only ended up butchering two of them because #3 escaped and well, it is way hard to catch a free range chicken!  We have 5 roosters and they end of fighting and getting mean and you really only need one rooster to "service" the ladies!

Frazier and I read and watched a ton of videos and blog posts.  We made a kill cone out of a gallon jug.  After the chicken was caught we simply turned him upside down, inserted his head into the cone and he was calm.  No flapping around.  Then we cut him behind the ear, drained the blood and that was it.  We did thank God for this chicken that gave his life so we could eat.  Circle of life says my friend Brittany!

 
Me being a redneck!  What a horrid photo!
 
 
After dipping him in a hot water bath it was de-feathering time.  This was my least favorite party, it stinks {literally}.

 
 
We chose to separate the parts so the next hour or so, Frazier stood in the kitchen removing the breast meat and drumsticks/thighs.  Now I have four chicken breasts, four drumsticks and four chicken thighs tucked away in the freezer.  Best part is, I know what they were fed and they aren't full of hormones and antibiotics!
 
 
 
And this is just a funny picture of Jacob who thought the chickens feet were pretty funny! 
I understand you can make a delicious broth out of them, but well, I'm not quite there yet!
 
 
 
Thanks to The Elliot Homestead for the great tutorial!
 
sue
 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment