Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hatchling!

My husband and I made an incubator out of a Styrofoam cooler, a lightbulb and some hardware cloth..oh, about 25 days ago.  We loaded it with about 15 eggs from the hens.  The kids and I made a little science project out of keeping track of the temperature and humidity. 

Yesterday, Madi came out of the music room and said "I heard a chicken!".  Sure enough, we had a peeping egg in the incubator! A few hours later, we saw this...

 
One tiny little crack...and a whole lot of peeping!
 
I woke up this morning and found this...
 
 
One little wet chick peeping his little heart out!
 
He has since been moved to our makeshift warmer.  What a cutie!
 
 
I candled the other eggs yesterday.  Sadly I think this will be our only hatch from these eggs.
Not too bad though for a diy incubator!
 
sue
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment