Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Hurricane Matthew

Hurricane Matthew has come and gone.  We were very lucky to have minimal damage and a very short loss of power compared to the rest of the county.  I worked the night of Hurricane Matthew and our brave EMS folks had quite a difficult time bringing sick patients in due to downed power lines and trees.  It never ceases to amaze me how much people abuse the Emergency Department though.  Despite the hurricane,  we had people seeking treatment for non emergent ailments.  I mean, come on people!  It's a hurricane!!



I have great concerns for our society when we do have a complete system failure.  I meet so many people that just don't know how to provide basic first aid.  They constantly rely on someone else to take care of them.  There will come a day, and I fear it will be soon, that there will not be the "someone else".  They will be all on their own and it's high time they learned how to put on a bandaid! 

You don't have to be a "prepper" or a "tree hugger" to learn basic skills.  Take a basic First Aid class or for God's sake go to the library and pick up a book!  Educate yourselves because in the end the only person you are going to be able to rely on is YOURSELF.    We have several trees down in our back yard around the pond.  I have a chainsaw in my shed, but have never used it.  Yesterday I had my best friends husband come and teach me how to use it.  Do I feel comfortable?  Absolutely not!  I cut three  areas of the tree just to get a feel for it.  It's hard and I have trouble starting the dang thing up, but I know more than I did yesterday about using a chain saw and THAT is what is important!

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment